Thursday, December 31, 2020

Year at a glance

It's been so long since I've posted that I feel a little out of practice. I haven't lost my love for writing, but I have lacked the time and motivation to keep at it. Hence the 2 year hiatus. The end of a year always has me feeling reflective so I thought I'd come back to put my thoughts on paper. And was 2020 a year or what?

The beginning of 2020 was a difficult one as my mom was in the midst of chemo treatments for cancer. The emotional aspect of cancer, regardless of being the patient or a family member, is one that isn't readily mentioned. We were so grateful for the support of family, friends and our church family as well. 

As she finished up treatments, we entered the Covid pandemic and lockdown for 3 months. There were both challenges and blessings to being home all the time. We had a lot of family time with our children and made a lot of memories. At the same time, we missed people. So many face to face interactions that you take for granted until you are without them. 

With the extra home time, I became creative in using up food from our freezer and pantry. I did some spring house cleaning (which still needs finished, haha!) We played more games and also did more campfires in the backyard. We rejoiced in the birth of another niece and we also supported friends who had to make many adaptions to their wedding day.

The summer brought a sense of normalcy with a few more outings and warm weather. We were so thankful for the opportunity to get outside and enjoy the sunshine and beautiful sights of summer. 



Beautiful Watkins Glen State Park, N.Y.- an anniversary weekend getaway

The end of summer brought another cancer diagnosis of a dear friend, which was so disheartening. It's so hard to understand God's ways sometimes, but I continue to trust that God will use her journey for His glory. As I was processing all of this, I learned of the sudden death of a former friend and coworker. I had seen her over the summer and had a brief final conversation with her. 

The fall brought the beginning of preschool for our daughter and that has been a joy in the midst of a chaotic year. How exciting to see children learning and enjoying the process with classmates and a wonderful teacher. Thanksgiving and Christmas were full of reasons to rejoice and choose thankfulness for our many blessings.

This year has been full of tears and heartache as I've journeyed with friends and family through very difficult circumstances and situations. I'm so thankful to serve a God who is sovereign in all seasons. Early in the year I came across this quote-


As we look ahead to a new year, may we continue to cling onto Jesus and look to Him to lead us through the unknown. He will never fail us.

No comments:

Post a Comment