Sunday, January 1, 2012

How's your heart?

New Year's 2012- a time to reflect on the previous year and look ahead to the new one.  Instead of making resolutions to lose weight or exercise more this year like most people do, I am making a goal to get in shape- physically, emotionally, and spiritually.  This isn't just about the outside; it's also about the heart.  Heart issues have been on my mind for the past several months and I've heard several thought-provoking sermons regarding this topic as well.  Just a few of those points:


~ "God knew Jonah needed some discipline, which is different from being refined."
~ "When refining takes place, it hurts.  Changes are happening."
~ "Your testimony doesn't mean you're perfect.  It means you're forgiven."


* Just for the record, the word refined is an adjective- "with impurities or unwanted elements having been removed by processing."


In the past year, God has been doing some refining in my heart.  It hasn't always been easy or even welcome, but it has been necessary.  And I'm really grateful that these changes have taken place. 


The other night I was reading in Psalms.  Psalms 119 to be exact and no, I did not read the entire chapter at one shot.  It's a little too lengthy for that!  I focused on verses 9-16.  Take some time to search your own heart as you read these thoughts...


9. How can a young man keep his way pure?  By living according to your word.


I want to spend more time digging into God's Word this year.  It's one of the best ways to keep a pure heart and life!


10. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.


To seek God with ALL my heart- that is my desire.  This is what Christ asks of us.  How can we give Him any less?  In doing so, we will stay close to Him and his commands for us as His children.


11. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.


Memorizing scripture is a great way to deter the many temptations that can come our way each day.  Another goal of mine this year.


12. Praise be to you, O Lord; teach me your decrees.


How often do we give our Lord the praise He deserves?  It's so easy to ask Him for things, but we need to remember to thank Him as well.  He can and will teach us if we are open and receptive to hearing Him speak into our lives.


13. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth.


The Bible is full of laws for us to glean something out of.  Do we take the time to read and study them?


14. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.


Do I honestly rejoice in being a follower of Christ?  Is it worth more to me than great riches?   Because it is incredibly better than that!


15. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.


Meditating on scripture is a great way to search our hearts and motives.  What is God trying to teach us in those moments?


16. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.


Do I delight in God's decrees for me as His daughter?  I desire to cling to the Word this year instead of neglecting it!


May you be blessed as you seek Christ this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment