Friday, February 10, 2012

But the greatest of these is LOVE

My Grandma is so special to me.  The older I get the more I appreciate her and all that she does for our entire family.  I've had some extra opportunities recently to reflect on her love for me from the times that I've spent with her.  What a blessing it is to have her live literally 5 minutes from the school that I teach at!  When we have evening meetings or conferences, I can go over to her house to eat dinner with her before returning to school.  I did just that this past week.  Even though I brought the food since it was the day after her birthday, she still spoiled me.  She fed me scrumptious dessert and insisted that I take nearly all the leftovers from the meal for my lunch the next day.  Well, turns out, Grandma, you gave me enough of food for two lunches!  :)  When I was finished at school, I returned to Grandma's to stay overnight.   One of the best parts of staying with her is that I always get to park in the garage when I'm there.  I don't even get that privilege at home!  Grandma even got up early the next morning to turn on the coffee pot and make me a delicious breakfast.  Grandma is known for her cooking.  Any food or beverage (she's the best juice-maker!) from her kitchen is amazing.  And she never sits down to eat when the whole family's over for a meal.  We have to tell her to do that.  Haha!  What an example of being a servant!  Anytime I'm at her house, she tells me to make myself at home and use whatever she has that I need.

She loves each one of us selflessly.  As I reflected on Grandma's heart of love for her family and others, it made me realize what an example she is of showing Christ-like love.  I want to be more like that!  How often do I show hospitality to those around me, offering them everything I have to please them and meet their needs?  How often do I work for the benefit of others instead of myself?  Do I really implement J.O.Y. (Jesus, Others, Yourself) in my life on a regular basis?  I'm afraid I know the answers to these questions.  Christ loved us with a humble love coming from a servant's heart.  He asks us to become like Him and serve one another in love.

I leave you with these verses from 1 Corinthians 13 (4-8a, 13), known to many as the love chapter:

"Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails...And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.  But the greatest of these is love."

1 comment:

  1. Aww! Sounds like your grandma is an amazing woman of God and knows how to do hospitality well! =D

    ReplyDelete