Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Fishing Themed Birthday Party

My brother celebrated his 21st birthday in March.  My mom and I thought it'd be fun to throw him a surprise party so that's just what we did!  Our young adult group at church {NextGen} has a bible study twice a month.  Instead of having a regularly scheduled bible study the Monday night after his birthday, we had a party, much to Justin's surprise.
 He was so clueless when my parents and a few other friends walked in with balloons.
And then the lightbulb went on!  :)
After a group game and some charades, we enjoyed some food and fellowship.

On the menu:
Hot hamburger dip with tortilla chips
An assortment of Goldfish crackers
Chocolate cupcakes with blue icing topped with chocolate bass fish
Ice cream
Blue sherbet punch
Rootbeer floats
and...

Bait: Gummi worms and Swedish fish

We added some fishing decor to the food table which brought back memories from when Justin was younger. We included a picture he drew quite a few years ago as well as this collage of fishing pictures from years gone by. I intend to use the rustic frame around the house once we finally get around to removing the pictures!
If you happened to notice the burlap Gone Fishin' banner earlier, I made it especially for the party.  All it took was 10 burlap triangles, black yarn, and black letters made from a Cricut machine.  Sounds easy enough, but it did take some time to assemble.  I plan to remove the letters, add new letters, and hang it up in my room someday soon.  (Don't worry..it isn't staying on this sofa!)  I shall be sure to share a picture when that happens!
This was the table where we sat to enjoy our food.  To spice up the look of the table, we added a board game called Woods N' Waters that Justin used to force me to play with him.  :)  We also used some fishing reels we found in our garage as well as mason jars with lit tealight candles inside.

All in all, we had a fun evening celebrating my brother and his special day!

3 comments:

  1. Twas a fun night! :) Lots of laughs and the decorations were super cute! I want you to help me make a burlap banner like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, dear! I'll see what we can do about that burlap banner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s simple and cute. I am also planning a surprise party for my nephew in one of the San Francisco venues and I think this simplicity is what my sister is also going to like. It was good reading this post. I wish I was this expressive when it comes to writing.

    ReplyDelete