Thursday, March 5, 2015

Are you a burden bearer?



Burdens. We all bear them. Sometimes I think this tends to be more of a struggle for women, myself included. It is a lesson that I continue to learn, ever learning and growing. Perhaps it may be helpful for us to ask ourselves these questions:

"They way you carry it..."
via
-What causes me to bear burdens? I believe it tends to come from a heart of compassion, mercy and deep love for others. We bear because we care. And we care deeply. It is one of my biggest questions sometimes. “God, why have you given me such a great capacity to love?” While it has its tremendous blessings, it also causes much pain during times of difficulty.

-In what atmosphere or sphere of influence do I most often bear burdens? In other words, the setting(s) or areas in your life in which you see this pattern occur the most. For me, it occurs in areas of ministry and close family/friend relationships. Those who touch my heart the deepest weigh upon it the heaviest. And that is not their fault; it’s just the way God has designed me to care for them.

-During what seasons of life, circumstances or stresses, do I tend to take on burdens? The when moments. Do you see a pattern take place? Perhaps when you are weary and worn after a period of being on the go and not having enough of “you” time. This is my weakness for sure. Maybe it occurs when you’ve said “yes” one too many times and you've stretched yourself much too thin. Is it when your joy has been diminished and needs refilling by the One and Only? Be honest with yourself.

-How do I bear burdens for those in my life? Do you keep them to yourself, share with your closest confidant, or first bring them to your Father God? Do you allow the burden to rule you or your day or do you entrust that person/situation to the One who can bring redemption and deliverance?


Know that when you've searched your own heart and motives, you may be better equipped to fulfill the calling to adequately bear burdens for those precious to you. Galations 6:2 says, “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way, you will fulfill the law of Christ.” 

1 comment:

  1. Such good thoughts with this, Janelle. It's so true that our capacity to love is equal to our capacity to carry burdens for others, and thus equal to a capacity to experience hurt. I've had a mentor tell me long ago to "care but not carry." It is right and good to walk along with people and help them, but I also believe that we cannot take on their burdens to our own shoulders. Care, but not carry. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete