Monday, October 13, 2014

Am I me or am I you?

The Father has a way of revealing our weaknesses when we least expect it. He did the same for me recently.

It's no surprise that women are comparers and do it in all areas of life. One of the reasons being the approval of other women. Another in the sense that it brings self-fulfillment and a sense of identity. Whether it be via our sense of fashion and dress, how we decorate our homes, or the foods that we cook. I can be a comparer in all of these, but last weekend, I was reminded of the latter.
I had to make a dessert for an event and was stressing way too much over a simple decision. My thought was what if someone doesn't like it? My people-pleasing tendencies were coming out! As important as it is to satisfy the needs and/or desires of others, it should not come at the expense of our time, energy, or sense of identity. You may be wondering what dessert has to do with identity. However, if we are performing out of a sense of obligation or seeking to imitate the persona of someone that we idolize, we are not living out our God-given identity as a unique daughter of our Heavenly Father. Am I living true to who God made me to be? I'd encourage you to take a few moments to search your own heart and perhaps write down what the Father reveals to you in this area.


I couldn't help but look to the Word for some insight into this area and the verse that jumped out to me was John 12:43. It says, "for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God." The they in this verse is referring to the Pharisees. They were well known for living according the law, at any expense. I had to ask myself if I am no different than they. Is the praise of others more valuable to me than words of affirmation from my Father that I am enough in His eyes? That simple and delicious is just as fine as extravagant and delectable. That thrifty and cute clothing just as fine as expensive and brand new. That cozy and simplistic decor in my home is just as fine as perfect and magazine worthy. 


Somehow looking at things in this sense brings a sigh of relief and the realization that I am enough. My cooking style, my clothing, my home decor. It is all enough. I am loved as I am by my husband, friends and family, and most importantly, by my Abba Father. And it is His approval that truly matters.

2 comments:

  1. Once again hit the nail on the head with this post! Thanks for sharing your heart. I too stress out over food way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminded me of one of my favorite quotes: "I will hold myself to a standard of grace, not perfection." Really comparison is rooted in not meeting some level of perfection we perceive.

    ReplyDelete