Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Life distractions

Something happened the other day that made me frustrated. While out for a walk with my daughter, my phone fell out of the stroller, screen side down. When I picked it up on the pavement, there were cracks all over the screen. I sighed in frustration. Then I realized that what I viewed as an inconvenience was possibly God's way of getting my attention. How little time I've been spending with Him lately and how much of my time I have been giving away to other things.

Distraction- "a thing that prevents someone from giving full attention to something else." 

Corrie Ten Boom once said, "If the devil cannot make us bad, he will make us busy." How true that is. There are so many things in life that cause busyness. Often times they can be good things, but when they consume us or take us away from Jesus, there's a problem. If I'm honest, one of my struggles is social media. It's a great way to connect with friends and family members. But when the temptation to check it frequently throughout the day takes me away from time with my family or Jesus, I need to admit that it has become a distraction and take steps to change my habits.

I posted here about my word of the year and desire to cherish moments and people each day. When life's distractions get in the way of that, I need to do a heart check and assess my motives. My daughter is growing so quickly and these days I'm savoring when her head rests on my shoulder when she's sleepy and when her little fingers explore my face. I also love how she gets silly when she's sleepy, just like me. :) I don't want to miss these moments simply because I'm checking the latest news on Facebook.

Mother's Day

This verse was in my devotional the other morning- "My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only he will release my feet from the snare." Psalm 25:15. I thought it was so fitting for this topic. Snares can take many forms and it's always good to be mindful of them in our lives. When we recognize them, we can take action. 

I found this article to be so good and so challenging to me personally. Hope it speaks to your heart as well today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment