Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Fashion Vs. Wildflowers & Getting vs. Giving

I am always amazed at how I learn just as much from teaching my students in Sunday School as they probably learn from me.  It happened again on Sunday.  {Keep in mind my students are 5 and 6 years old, but nevertheless...}

I should also mention that the thoughts I'm sharing are for myself, just as much as they may be for you.

Our lesson was taken from Matthew 6:25-34 ::

{The Message}
"If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion.  There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body.  Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God.  And you count far more to him than birds.
"Has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch?  All this time and money wasted on fashion--do you think it makes that much difference?  Instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers.  They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it?  The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them.
"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers--most of which are never even seen--don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you?  What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving.  People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works.  Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions.  Don't worry about missing out.  You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. 
"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow.  God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."

Even now as I read this passage, I'm convicted all over again.  I don't know about you, but there have certainly been times when I wrinkled up my nose over what was being served at the dinner table.  Hmm, probably not such a good attitude to have.  But the fashion thing, that's a much harder pill for a female to swallow!  What girl/lady doesn't enjoy shopping and having a closet full of cute clothes?  Don't get me wrong; I don't think we are being told that it is wrong to care about our appearance, but how much time and money we spend is key.

Matthew writes about time spent 'fussing' in front of a mirror.  I'm afraid I'm guilty of this one as well.  He makes a very valid point in saying that it doesn't do us much good.  Again if you're like me, 5 minutes in front of the mirror can turn into 15, wanting to get my looks "just right!"  However, this is a wrong approach.  Many times we get so consumed in our outward appearance that we don't pluck and adjust matters of the heart and mind.  Instead of dashing for the mirror, perhaps we should go straight for our bibles to soak in some sweet-smelling stuff.  That's more important anyway and you'll certainly get more pleasure out of it.

When was the last time you admired wildflowers?  We've been enjoying them as a centerpiece on our dining room table for the past few weeks.  They are just lovely.  Definitely a good reminder of how unique each one is, just like us.

(Ok, so these aren't wildflowers, but I didn't have any good pictures of some.  These were given by a good friend before school started last year.)

I absolutely love the thought that God takes pride in us.  I never thought of it like that.  We bring him pleasure and He is proud of you.  He's proud of me!  Wow...how cool is that?!  He also does His best for us.  We know that, but it's somehow easy to forget it.  I also love the verse about not being so preoccupied with getting so that we can respond to God's giving.  Sometimes I wonder why God puts up with us because we expect so much out of Him.  I mean, really, we are always coming to Him with our wants, not so much our needs.  He loves us anyway.  As it said in my teacher's book, "We can depend on God's love for us."  I don't know about you, but that brings me peace!

Remember the children's song, "He's got the whole world in His hands?"  That includes you.  Don't forget it!

No comments:

Post a Comment