Friday, July 25, 2014

The Virus of Distraction

I'm guilty. Guilty of distraction, that is.

I guess you could say that I have a good reason. I've been caught up in a wedding whirlwind that is only accelerating as we approach the next eight days. It has been so exciting, but oh, so exhausting. So looking forward to a lovely, relaxing honeymoon with my Mr. :)

As I've struggled to make time for just about everything lately, the biggest hurdle has been creating a solid time slot for my devotions each day. I'll be honest here [for some reason, I'm feeling vulnerably honest this morning!] If I don't do it first thing in the morning, it doesn't happen. Who's with me? I know it's not an excuse, but I think it's somehow more comforting when I know I'm not alone.

I read the following quote on Ann Voskamp's blog and it greatly challenged me.

Far too often, we have the tendency to cram more and more into our schedules when the solution lies in simplifying. So how have I done that lately?

-Embracing a period of rest when I need it. Whether that is taking a short nap or sitting down for a few minutes, it has a wonderful way of reviving me.

-Making a to-do list and sticking to it. No more, but sometimes less. It's ok to not be superwoman and achieve all. Remind me of that this week!

-Eliminating the unnecessaries that vie for my time. Sometimes I just need to say no.

-Realizing that tomorrow (or next week or next month) is a new day. No need to stress out over what can be stretched out!

-Knowing that I am fully loved and accepted by a Father who loves me unconditionally in my weakest moments, who is willing to lift me out of the dirt, dry my tears, and carry me until I can walk again on my own, with Him ever by my side.

Today, I choose to not allow distractions to overtake my mind, my joy, and my life. I choose Jesus!

3 comments:

  1. Such a great reminder. Lately we have been trying to figure out ways to slow down and cut back. Something our culture definitely doesn't do. Praying for a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the wedding times coming up! That is so exciting. I too have been distracted by many things and I need to go back to God and remember how all these great things are happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Voskamp quote you shared! I too can feel the weight of unnecessary distraction as of late too!

    ReplyDelete