Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Winds of Change

The summer is coming to a close; each evening is getting shorter and with it comes cooler temperatures. A gentle breeze blows and reminds me of the upcoming need to switch out my wardrobe for fall fashions, as well as enjoying hot drinks and fall-like activities. It also reminds me of the current season of life that I find myself in at the moment. The winds of change are blowing and to be completely honest, I’m not sure how that makes me feel.

After teaching for five years, I felt God calling me to say goodbye and move onto the next thing that He has in store for me. While difficult, it brought a great sense of peace in following His leading. As the new school year begins, it reminds me of the past. What I did and who I was as a teacher. But as the Father has repeatedly reminded me, it’s not healthy to continually dwell in the past. He calls us to live in the present and embrace the now, while looking ahead with eagerness to the future. So that is what I’m striving to do.

Instead of speaking into the lives of students, now I am privileged to be an encourager to many others in my life- friends, family members, fellow believers, and even strangers. He is showing me to look for opportunities every day to be a blessing, filling others with joy and how creative I can be in that- a conversation with a retail clerk, making a friendly phone call, mailing a postcard, baking a plate of cookies for a neighbor, etc.  We recently moved so I’m eager to meet and greet those in our community and begin to build relationships and friendships.

People need to take priority over items on a to-do list. Although I have many boxes left to unpack and rooms to organize, it’s good to take time to be still and allow the Holy Spirit to direct my days. The house will be neat and tidy someday. Maybe J

Just a few favorite snapshots from our summer:

 I'm going to miss these gorgous blooms. 
Our former house had many beautiful flowers.
We are so excited to have bought our first house. 
Plus we celebrated our 1st anniversary the day after we moved. :)
 One of the highlights of our summer was a trip to Maine with dear friends.
This was a spectacular sunset at the top of Cadillac Mountain.

Our cottage was next to a lake. Such fun kayaking there.
Lots of pretty views and hiking trails. 

What have been your summer highlights thus far?


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that people take priority! ...lifelong lesson for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! I can certainly relate to the winds of change... sounds like you have a great perspective on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krista! I'll have to show you more pictures sometime.

      Delete
  3. This is so good, Janelle! I love what you said about people taking priority over a to-do list. I'm trying to learn that very thing too!

    My summer highlights have been spending time with family and our move to Nashville. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia! Can't wait to see more photos of your new home :)

      Delete